Thursday, February 17, 2011

Birdfeeder for my cub scouts



The finished birdfeeder


The old birdfeeder made at summer camp


There are many things I enjoy about being a den leader. It didn't start off this way. When I volunteered, there was no Tiger den leader for my son, the only Tiger. So I stepped up to the plate so he could be involved and move up through the ranks. We quickly had two boys join us (who are still with us, yipee!) and through the years we've seen many come and go. Hey, it's not for everyone. But I am happy to report we have a den of 5 committed Bear scouts that show up on a regular basis, in complete uniform and a good attitude. So back to what I enjoy the most, the satisfaction of seeing the smile on the faces of those little boys when they receive their awards, patches and rank badges. When they learn their knots and you see the light bulb above their head shine a light in the whole entire cafeteria (our meeting location).  When they give me a big thank, but when they give me that BIG BEAR hug....ugh...I just melt.

But one of the next best things I enjoy is the crafts. Yes, I enjoy the crafts, but the boys do too. And on a rainy and cold day like today in sunny Southern California, crafts are just the thing.

My Bear son and I attended resident camp last summer and they made an easy, simple, and quick bird feeder which he just loved. This went towards one of his achievements that ultimately will go towards him earning his Wildlife Conservation Award. He definitely used it, hung it on a tree in our little apartment's balcony. OK, yes the tree is fake, hee, hee. But with the wind and the elements the bird feeder now looks like the above picture. So, we shall make bird feeders as a den, so all the boys can get their Wildlife Conservation Award. And, cause I'm done with Blue & Gold decorations {woo hoo} and can think of nothing else to do. And to practice leadership skills my son willl this activity.

We made one at home last  night to remember the details and to pre-pack the components into zip lock bags for each scout.


What you'll need per birdfeeder:
19 wood craft sticks (like the popscicle ones). We paid $3.99 for a bag of 150 at Michael's
4 pieces of cotton twine, approximately 25" long each. Paid $2.00 at Big Lots for 50 yards.
Glue, I use Aileen's Tacky Glue. $1.99 at Michael's, but have several laying around.

Directions:


You place two sticks parallel to each other and place dots of glue at each edge of sticks. Place two more sticks on top, as shown above.

Place two more sticks perpendicular to the last ones, and yet two more on top, see above picture. You should now have two sticks stacked on top of each other at each edge of the square. Make sure you place glue dots at each end every time you add sticks!



Then add sticks going across the entire top to create a platform. Again, place glue on the edge of the sticks that the platform sticks will lay on.


Add one more stick on each end of the sticks to keep them together, as shown above. Glue, please! Let dry for a few minutes so the glue bonds.

Thread a cotton twine string at each corner of the square platform. Pull all four strings together at top and tie them together. And you've got yourself a nice, easy, simple birdfeeder!

Now add a bit of peanut butter to the platform and sprinkle bird seed on it. The seeds will stick to the peanut butter and not slide off the platform with the first breeze that comes by. Hang it in a patio or by a window and enjoy the birds that stop by for a snack. I mean, don't enjoy the birds for a snack, enjoy watching the birds have a snack. Just want to make sure we're all clear on this one.


And here it is hanging in our balcony,
sans the bird feed cause I gotta take it to the scout meeting as a sample

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.